Reward or Rearward?





The name Miata means reward in German and was only applied to the MX-5s imported to the U.S.A. Hence the astonishingly clever title of this missive, too clever by half maybe. 1994 R Edition Miata on display with classic steelies.  Photo by Marve Harwell © 2012.

A casual glance at this site would inform anyone who feigns to care that I am quite fond of the Mazda Miata. The concept of a small, cheap and light car that is fun to drive was the formless dough rising within my car lusting heart since my beardless youth. But is this beguiling little roadster stunting my growth?

There are many classic cars that I would love to own like an MGB GT, Triumph TR4, Austin Healey Sprite, Alfa Romeo GTV or a Lancia Fulvia. It’s not that any of these cars are unattainable price-wise like a one of a kind Ferrari driven by Steve McQueen as he evaded Russian spies to deliver plans for the space shuttle.  Quite the contrary, anyone of these automotive Picasso’s can be had in mint condition for less than the price of a new minivan.

So why don’t I own any of them? I have to blame the Miata. For the first time, as I go to look at one of the above classics, I hear a nagging question, a faint whispering of a single word: why? Why do I want these cars? What am I looking for?  I think anyone of them is beautiful to look at and all are loaded with old world charm, whatever that is. Looks, however, were never the first consideration for me when it comes to any car, new or immortalized. I also don’t view a classic car as an interesting way to transport lawn chairs to car shows. I want classic cars, not because I want to display them, but because I want to drive them. Allow me to examine this concept in needless detail.

When I was about 11 years old my father bought a go kart for my brother and me one Christmas. This was like buying a future alcoholic his first fake ID. The go kart was the usual fare of 1970’s prepubescent petrol head technology. It had a tubular frame, no suspension and five-inch wheels all powered by a four horse power pull-start lawn mower engine. It was as comfortable to drive as being drawn and quartered while wearing wool underwear but man it was fun!
The beginning of it all; young Harwell’s on a fateful Christmas morning in 1977. Photo by Marve Harwell ©2013.

 Curiously though, in spite of employing the same technology that has been faithfully cutting grass for decades, the kart proved remarkably unreliable. The axle ran through a toothed sprocket with a bicycle chain around it, not a lot to go wrong there. The Briggs and Stratton engine started nearly every time with no more maintenance than good intentions, so that wasn’t the culprit. The problem, like so many marriages, was not the two major components themselves but their union that caused the grief.

The working components of the go kart were joined together through a centrifugal clutch. The clutch was a doughnut sized disc of metal with a hole in the middle that fit over the output shaft of the engine. The other end of the clutch contained hinged teeth that splayed out (by centrifugal force, hey science!) and hooked into the chain when you stepped on the gas and revved the engine. Once the teeth of the clutch caught the chain the kart began to move and mayhem ensued.

As I alluded to earlier the clutch broke about every other month and a replacement cost the princely sum of $30. In 1977 you could by a modest home for $30 and for an 11 year old with no money and a bleak future it was an impossible sum. My father bought the first few but soon grew tired of diverting the grocery money to feed the budding motoring enthusiasm of his two sons. My brother and I were not about to give up our only car so we adapted. When the clutch was broken the teeth stayed out all the time and when you pulled the cord to start the engine the kart would leap forward about 15 feet, if you were lucky. If you were unlucky it would start and run away down the driveway and crash into the neighbor’s garbage cans. We soon figured out a clever solution, however, dummy number one would lift the rear wheels off the ground while dummy number two pulled the starter. Once the engine started and the wheels were spinning dummy number two would jump into the driver’s seat and apply the brake while dummy number one dropped the back end of the kart and hopped into the passenger seat. When we were one dummy short and riding solo a brick standing on end was used to lift the rear wheels off the ground. Once the engine was started dummy number two would jump into the kart in such a way as to jolt it forward enough to topple the brick and off you go.

Eventually dropping the kart as a starting procedure caused one of the tubular frame rails to split. My father welded the frame back together but by then we had moved on to a much more reliable Yamaha DT 175 motorcycle and the go kart was hung on the garage wall like a hunting trophy.

The point is, and yes there is a point, my brother and I tossed aside the go kart without remorse, sentiment or regret once we got the Yamaha, why? Even though the go kart was amazing fun and the best Christmas present I ever received, it wasn’t so much the machine itself I loved but the joy of speed, control and freedom. These things could all be had much more reliably with the motorcycle, so good bye go kart.

Now that I look back I wish I still had that old kart, not for the joy of driving it or the laughing spectacle it would give onlookers to see me do so, but for the sentiment and nostalgia. The go kart was, for all purposes, my first car and it ignited a life-long passion inside of me. It was also an amazingly loving gift from my patient and tolerant parents. It may be a sign of getting older that I regret getting rid of the go kart, so much so that I bought my daughter one that I keep at my parent’s house so when we visit she can terrorize the same roads and trails I did way back then. My daughter’s kart has independent suspension, a belt driven transmission, disc brake and a full roll cage and is just as frustratingly unreliable.



Another Christmas and a new generation of Harwell’s fill the old neighborhood with the dull thrum of single cylinder bliss. Harwell daughter and nephew carry the torch. Photo by Marve Harwell © 2011.

The old kart taught me a few lessons; one is to not be so quick to get rid of things, another is that motoring joy is best achieved through raw simplicity and the last lesson is that if you can find fun and reliability you have achieved automotive nirvana. Those lessons have led me to have three Mazda Miatas in my garage and not one beloved classic.

So are you to conclude, hapless reader, that I have sworn off classic cars? Nope, quite the contrary, I now will pursue a collector car with better clarity and purpose. I’ll look for my MG or Fulvia for the sake of owning something wonderful in the nostalgic context of its time. I’ll enjoy a classic for the pleasure of driving simplicity in a car that is all mechanical, uncontaminated by comfort and convenience. But here is the caveat, whatever old car I buy I’ll keep at least one, probably two, of my Miatas. By keeping the MX-5 I never have to let a sunny day go by while my classic sits waiting for a part or while I ply the forums looking for advice on exercising some daemon or other.  The Miata will keep me from holding a grudge against age or design related faults that frustrate old cars owners. If my classic fails to start on a summer evening, I have the option of looking thoughtfully while I rearrange my weekend schedule to investigate the problem. Then I’ll jump in the Miata, put the top down, and enjoy terrorizing some quiet back road.



1967 Mustang GT, a classic like this may someday be leaving oil spots on the Harwell Garage, yeah I like Mustangs too.  Photo by Marve Harwell ©2013.

As an interesting side note I may not be the only one who sees the Miata as the reliable spare tire to a more temperamental classic. I had my bone stock 2000 MX-5 at the spring Carlisle car show to demo some products I was test marketing. Nobody wanted the products but I had five offers on my Mazda. In addition to that, in the car corral of that same show, there were Shelby’s, Hemi Cudas, classic Chevy muscle cars and hot rods of every description. In amongst this classic iron were three Miatas for sale, looking as out of context as a salad on Rosie O’Donnell’s dinner table. Astonishingly, at the end of the weekend all three MX-5’s were sold. I casually wonder what classic cars the little Japanese roadsters will share garage space with.
Marve Harwell ©2013

Comments